Lowrance HDS8m Gen2 - Still the Perfect Chart Plotter
2014 Oct 06
Looking for the best companion for your HDS Touch at the console? The HDS8m Gen2 is the answer.
Here is a video showing how much faster the HDS Gen2 is with the new processor when compared to the HDS8 Gen1 -
As fantastic as the ‘wide’ format display is for multiple panel view and most of all SideScan, charts need vertical size and resolution, and the HDS8m Gen2 has it in spades. As you can see from this diagram, not only is the HDS8 bigger than the HDS9 vertically, but it has an additional 20% resolution. When it comes to chart detail, resolution is very important.
The HDS8 Gen2 is currently operating on the same level software upgrade as the Touch series, which means they are 100% compatible in every way. By simply adding an Ethernet cable, the following network features are available on the HDS8m Gen2:
2. StructureMap sharing – Log and create SideScan mosaics for your charts on one, and share to the other displays
3. ShadedRelief – if you have only one card with ShadedRelief background imagery, it will share to all the other units
3. Waypoint sharing – all waypoints will share between units even if there is no N2k installed
1. Network Sonar – all sonar data from your other sonar source (HDS or SonarHub) such as StructureScanHD, traditional sonar, CHIRP etc. will be viewable
2. Sonar Logging – you can even log sonar from your other units to the HDS8m and use the data to update either your Navionics Freshest Data chart, or your Insight Genesis data.
I personally still have an HDS8 Gen2 on my boat and it never comes off or gets turned off while I’m on board. It runs what I feel is the most important feature my electronics has to offer – charts.
Price wise it is extremely affordable (half the price of an HDS9), and very well matched on an international scale when compared to some of the other HDS models.
So if you are looking for a great chart plotter with all the latest features, I suggest getting yourself an HDS8m Gen2 before it is too late.